Friday, January 18, 2013

One step at a time

For the past two weeks, I've been designing the X Frame and it's a pain in the ass. I decided earlier to apply the "Vertical X Axis" standard into the design and I must say, using these standards has been giving me a hard time. I was about to call it quits and just print an existing design online. Today, after going through many iterations, I finally came up with a reasonable design that seems worthy for printing.

3DPrintMi
X Frame Front

3DPrintMi
X Frame Back


3DPrintMi
X Motor

3DPrintMi
X Idler
I started out creating the X Motor, then mirroring that to create the X Idler. Everything is symmetric and if one wants to implement 10mm smooth rods, simply change the dimensions of the linear bearings housing.


3DPrintMi
X Carriage with Extruder mount
Designing the carriage was the most difficult part. I had 5 different versions and they all just didn't work the way I wanted to be. Figuring out how to mount the linear bearings took a bit of time and every configuration I had increased the length of the X Carriage. 

3DPrintMi
The linear bearing housing. I did not want to have a 360 degree enclosure since that would mean I would have to print vertically which I'm trying to avoid. Printing vertically would just take a long time versus having it laid flat. To solve that problem, I went for a 215 degree enclosure which I'm hoping it will keep the linear bearings from falling out. Only one way to find out.


As of now, I am still waiting for the hotbed and Printrboard to arrive by mail. Once those come in, I can start working on redesigning the Y carriage.


3DPrintMi
Current Progress