Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Build Log #34 - Custom QU-BD Mount

Documenting my custom QU-BD mount mod and this time I mounted the 2nd QU-BD extruder onto my Printrbot Plus. It's basically the same exact setup on my 3DPrintMi so it's fine to use this post as a reference. The advantage of this mod is that it allows you to mount the QU-BD parallel to the universal mount. The weight is evenly distributed and the motor isn't sticking it's fat ass out in the open. 


Universal Plate marked
Cut the blue line with a dremel, turning the holes into a slot. If you have a mill, use that instead. 


Should look like this. Cut as close as you can to the tangent.

File it down to get a nice straight slot. Debur the edges.

Nice and clean

Personally, I would scrap the filament drive block and replace it with MickB's lever mod. It's way better than using the screw and you won't be able to access it when you mount it.

Just need one nut on the stainless steel barrel. 

Use the other nut to lock the stainless steel tube on the cold end


Remove the 4 screws holding the extruder mount


Install the new extruder mount

Test mount.

Assembled with lever mod


I like to use teflon tape aka pipe thread tape to insulate my hotend. I would wrap the hotend with ceramic insulation and secure it with kapton tape. Then I give a few good wraps with the teflon tape, giving it a nice clean look. Stuff never burns.


Insert the universal mount and tighten the nut down.


Should have just enough space to insert the bolts. If you can't see the slots, it's on the wrong side.








Works on the first try. Yay.




No comments:

Post a Comment